Thursday 29 June 2017

The 10 Most Challenged Books of 2016

If you tell me I can't read a book, or shouldn't read a book then I immediately want to read it. So here we are, the Top 10 Most Challenged Books of 2016 (in American schools and libraries, we don't tend to challenge or ban books so much here).


1. This One Summer - Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki (illustrator)

2. Drama - Raina Telgemeier (see my review)

3. George - Alex Gino



4. I am Jazz - Jessica Herthel and Jazz Jennings, Shelagh McNicholas (illustrator)

5. Two Boys Kissing - David Levithan

6. Looking for Alaska - John Green

7. Big Hard Sex Criminals - Matt Fraction, Chip Zdarsky (illustrator)

8. Make Something Up: Stories You Can't Unread - Chuck Palahniuk

9. Little Bill series - Bill Cosby, Varnette P. Honeywood (illustrator)

10. Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell

1/10

So it's pretty easy to see what upsets the Americans who feel the need to challenge books. The top five were challenged because of LGBTQI+ themes. Three more were challenged because of more general sexual explicitness, one because Bill Cosby wrote it and Number 10 because it had offensive language.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I have a suspicion that here we are not as transparent as the USA and that "questionable" books are often just not selected by schools for their collections. I'd love to know what really goes on here.