Thursday 22 June 2017

17 Aussie YA Books Everyone Should Read At Least Once

Aussie YA is an amazing place, and a fabulous #LoveOzYA movement has sprung up over the last few years. Danielle Binks, author and book blogger is leading the charge. She is editor of the recently released anthology Begin, End, Begin which naturally I have bought, but not read. Here she shares another great Buzzfeed list 17 Aussie YA Books Everyone Should Read At Least Once.


On the Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchetti

Does My Head Look Big in This? - Randa Abdel-Fattah

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Laurinda - Alice Pung

Playing Beatie Bow - Ruth Park (see my review)

Dreaming of Amelia - Jaclyn Moriarty

Came Back to Show You I Could Fly - Robin Klein




Tomorrow, When the War Began - John Marsden

Obernewtyn - Isabelle Carmody

Sabriel - Garth Nix

Mandragora - David McRobbie

Graffiti Moon - Cath Crowley (see my review)

Surrender - Sonya Hartnett




Grace Beside Me - Sue McPherson

Illuminae - Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

Summer Skin - Kirsty Eager

Singing My Sister Down and Other Stories - Margo Lanagan

Hmm, a shameful 4/17.

It must be said that I have meant to read most of these books at some stage. Indeed I started Obernewtyn one time. I do love how a list always shows you a book you've never heard of, here it is Sue McPherson's Grace Beside Me, and I've only heard of Mandragora in the past month or so.

2 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

After I figured out my Have-Read score (a sad 3/17), I went back to figure out my Heard-Of score (an even sadder 4/17).

Louise said...

Oh you know that I immediately want to know which ones they are Deb! I know you've been reading On the Jellicoe Road recently. And wonder if the other two are The Book Thief and Playing Beatie Bow? And I figure that you've heard of Illuminae? I don't think that your 3/17 is that terrible given that I've only managed 4/17...