Thursday 23 February 2017

A Year in Books 2016

Yes, yes, I know that's it's nearly half way through 2017 already, but I haven't had a chance to look back at my 2016 reading just yet.

I had a bad reading year last year. I only read 79 books. 11, 075 pages. Almost half the 20, 061 pages I read in 2015.

And I was really bad at rating the books I actually did read on goodreads last year too. If I'd done more ratings I think there'd be more books here. Still I managed to give 7 books 5 stars.

Reckoning. An extraordinary memoir from Magda Szubanski.



The Minpins. A re-read of one of my very favourite Dahls.



Cyclone. Jackie French's retelling of Cyclone Tracy for a new generation.



The Anti-Cool Girl. Is actually a cool book.





And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda. A powerful anti-war ballad.



The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen 83 1/4 Years Old. Oh so naughty grandparents in a Dutch nursing home.



Charlie and the War against the Grannies. A silly, funny debut from Alan Brough.




7 out of my 79 reads were five stars.

3 Aussie books

3 Adults reads

3 Picture books

2 Nonfiction/memoir

3 Female authors

4 Male authors

5 New to me authors

Rather predictable to have Roald Dahl and Jackie French make an appearance I suppose. Lets hope it's a better reading this year, although I'm already 8 books behind my goodreads target! And it's still February...

1 comment:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I think it's lovely that you are just now posting last year's favorites as I have just now finished reading most of the books I requested from the library after looking over everyone else's end-of-year's lists.