Monday 2 September 2013

Leaves and Dust- Paris Style

For the first 6 months of this year I was in training for Paris. I went on a diet (Curves Complete, which is a fabulous program), I bought a pedometer (walking 10-20,000 steps per day) and I started eating leaves and dust. I lost 21kg. And it still wasn't enough training for Paris! No not the Paris marathon, just a sensational Paris holiday. Seems I'm not the only one to be inspired by Paris.

In Paris I walked 15-30,700 steps every day- and didn't my feet and legs know it? A marathon of sorts I suppose.

But I ate astonishing things. And didn't hold back. Sometimes, just to be good, I ate leaves and dust too. Naturally it was Paris style, and it was amazing.

I adapted my typical Curves Complete breakfast for Paris. At home I have 150gm plain Greek yoghurt, some fruit (a small banana or 100gm berries most often), and 25gm muesli. In Paris I had to adapt and cope with rhubarb and rose yoghurt, or lemon sheep yoghurt, or lychee. And top it with Pierre Herme's Ispahan Granola.

Tough, but someone has to eat it
Sometimes though the yoghurt was
confiture de lait with English granola

I'm moderately intrigued by the French love affair with radishes. So on a visit to the incredible Le Comptoir in St Germain (9 Carrefour de l'Odeon, 75006, arrive early for lunch to avoid the queue, although it is worth waiting, some dinners are booked out months in advance), I ordered the Radis Beurre a Notre Facon (Radish Butter done our way) knowing that butter, radish and salt was a classic combination. I wasn't expecting this, however:


But it was Absolutely Incredible. The brown dust was cocoa! Under the dust layer was a delicious green sauce, apparently a blend of radish tops, butter and cream. A sensational entree, and all for a meagre 6 euros. 

I backed it up with the most expensive dish on the lunch menu, the sensational lobster salad. Soft, sweet, luscious lobster. 


It seems I like a salmon salad. But I did know that already. 

Salmon Tartare at Paris, London

Salmon agrum salad in Fontainebleau
an incredible day excursion with ParisBreakfast
Salad Composee at Sip Babylone
Perfect mache!
Although not every salad was salmon. 

Salad Campagnarde at Sip Babylone
More mache, roqueforte and poached eggs
Fabulous!
There may have been any number of warm goats cheese salads too, but I suspect that they don't quite qualify as leaves and dust. 

Dreaming of France is a wonderful Monday meme 
from Paulita at An Accidental Blog

9 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Oh, oh, oh. And oh again. Lucky, lucky Louise.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Lucky lady to go to Paris , my favourite place . Well done on losing all that weight , I love walking in Paris and never tire it and yes you can eat so well there , especially from the supermarkets too, Or even the markets, love their salads.. could go on and on , but I won't :-)

ktford said...

thank you for inspiring sharing ...

Paulita said...

Those salads are definitely inspiring. Too bad we can't all walk that amount every day. Thanks for playing along. In the car all day today driving home from Florida.

Joy said...

Congrats on the weight loss!

A seasoned traveler told me that Paris has the hardest streets and sidewalks in the world. I wasn't sure if I believed here, but my legs were achey.

I love all those salads -- beautiful!

Joy's Book Blog

Esme said...

All those salads look delicious and congrats on the 21 kg.

skiourophile said...

Oh yum. There should be some cobblestone simulating exercise program. I find them so painful - one seems to take funny little steps when they're wet (as they always are when I visit)!

Jeanie said...

We share a passion for radishes... I fear our crop has ended its season. Back to the ones at the store; not nearly so tasty!

Like you, I walked like crazy in Paris and didn't gain. Whew! Wish I could say that for now...

Brona said...

Wow and mmmmmmmmmmmm!
I'll be dreaming about warm goat's cheese salads tonight :-)