Sunday 16 December 2012

The Runaway Hug


The Runaway Hug won the Children's Book Council of Australia Early Childhood Book of the Year this year. And deservedly so, for it turns the cuteness factor up to 11. 

I was a bit surprised to see that I hadn't blogged directly about Freya Blackwood before. We live in the same town in Central NSW, and I've been reading and loving her books for years, and have seen her speak at several events. I did include her in my guest post last year on Whispering Gums

Freya has a distinctive, warm drawing style that is perfect for picture books. She has been remarkably successful illustrating for a broad range of international and Australian writers. Her book with Roddy Doyle, Her Mother's Face, is up there as one of my all time favourite books. 

The premise of The Runaway Hug is cute too. Toddler Lucy wants a goodnight hug from Mum. Mum is busy doing the washing (in her undies) but of course has time to give Lucy a hug. Although it's her last hug and she needs it back. 


Picture source
Lucy has to give a hug to the whole family, whether they want it or not.

Picture source


I think the illustrations of ordinary family life are just great. Beautifully captured vignettes of a family settling down for the night. 

Picture source

It's amazing to read on Freya's blog that she didn't meet Nick Bland until they were both at the CBCA Awards! I guess technology can help bridge the distance these days, but it does seem weird that two people can create a book together, and not have actually met. Nick Bland lives in Darwin, one of his other books, The Very Cranky Bear, has been everywhere this year. I must get to reading it.


2 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Fingers crossed that I can find this one.

Louise said...

I hope you can, let me know if you can't.